Here are the details for the buddy activity today between 2G & 6G.
We heard that 2G have been learning about the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Well did you know the year six classes have also been learning about these too? You receive these gifts during a very special sacrament called Confirmation. This is where we confirm our faith in God and become adult members of the church.
The story of the gifts of the Holy Spirit dates back to Pentecost, which was the day people were first blessed with the gifts of the Holy Spirit. You can read the story of Pentecost here.
The gifts of the Holy Spirit are:
But what do these actually mean?
While there is much more to understanding the gifts of the Holy Spirit than a simple one sentence summary, this will provide us with a short, but neat summary to help us in our activity today,
Part of the gifts of the Holy Spirit are the fruits of the Holy Spirit. These are the observable behaviours you would expect to see in someone who has received the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
However, we don't need to have received Confirmation to display these behaviours. That is what today's activity is about.
Here are the instructions for today's activity.
1. Meet up with your six buddy. If your buddy is away today you can just partner up with another buddy.
2. Year two students will come to me and draw a name out of a hat. Shhhh....don't tell anyone whose name you draw as it's a secret! If you draw your own name out of the hat just let me know and you can draw again.
3. Students will then receive a sheet of paper with two presents on it. They will look like this:
4. You are going to use these two presents to nominate two of your classmates who you think display a particular gift or fruit of the Holy Spirit. One of your classmates will be the name you drew from the hat. The other will be your choice.
5. Students need to write the name of the student they are nominating on their gift, and then describe in detail how that person displays a particular gift or fruit. Remember, it must be a gift or fruit from the Holy Spirit. So even though you might have a friend who is really good at playing soccer, you can't nominate them for that.
6. Once you have written in your information you can decorate your gifts an cut them out. If you need help with your writing or cutting just ask your year six buddy!
7. Finally, if we have time we can share them with our classmates and read some out loud. If we run out of time I'm sure Miss Murphy can do this after lunch.
Here are some example below to show you what we mean.